Wednesday, December 9, 2009

CBC, Niemöller & Username

Last week, I wrote a comment telling the CBC that the title of an otherwise good story was poorly chosen, insulting & disproportionate, and should be changed, and a brief note of apology should accompany the change (I'm a fierce critic of Harper but I don't think he's equivalent to Nazis, nor journalists suffering like Nazi victims, and thus misusing his poem against quietism is very wrong). I have been doing other things so I just checked and found my comment hadn't been posted, no change had been made, and the CBC had sent me a note temporarily deactivating my CBC account since my username, EFLiberal, was against their guidelines for foul language?! Which part, the E, F, or Liberal I wonder? Anyway, I have tried registering another username, EForseyLib, and we'll see if that is also randomly rejected for being too rude. My comment was clean but pointed, similar to the note in brackets above. Having known the CBC & CBCers a bit, I felt I should just make a brief helpful note of this snafu in the program that runs their comments (or perhaps there is an actual administrator?) so as to avoid the possibility of thinking that they might be so sensitive about the error in judgement that led to such a title that they might have sought to reject any critical comment on it. The CBC, sensitive about misplaced anti-government hyperbole that compares the Cons to Nazis? Perish the thought. I look forward to the approval of my new username and the chance to make them aware of this error in judgement so they might correct it since I obviously can't count on the off-chance of CBCers reading this humble blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment