Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tranna Culture & Vendetta re. Giambrone?

As an outsider I must be missing something, because all sorts of people who usually show humanity and maturity on these matters are losing it in their glee to get at this guy. I know next to nothing about Tranna municipal politics. But from what I read, on the known facts, I can't see any substantive justification for this story or people's hypocrisy on their previously stated position on the separation between public and private. Giambrone seems to be a sort of left-wing Poilievre, but much as I dislike PP, I don't think his personal life is any of my business, however shameful, until and unless it substantively affects public policy, politics or is seriously illegal (by which I mean beyond jaywalking, etc.). I know someone who visited Washington at the tail end of Watergate, a guy who really detested Nixon's politics, but he said he never felt so much empathy and even sympathy for the guy, or almost anyone ever, as he became aware of the slavering delight the locals evinced at the possibility they were going to "get" the guy. If they could have stripped him, put him in stocks and thrown vegetables at him, they would have. Nothing makes one feel more leery of democracy than the mob. Worst/Best system etc., but awful when there's a mob. And worse when people who routinely quote and praise Burke & other classic liberals forget to deport themselves accordingly, and reprove the mob. Principles trampled in rush to get to stocks and throw a tomato at fool, etc.. Disheartening. Shows how weak the principles were/are. These are surely some of the worst days in recent history of Canadian media, even by its ignoble standards. I almost feel badly for them, the emptiness of their proclaimed ethics and souls.

This makes it clearer than ever that we need OFCOM-type oversight.

PS. Y'all need to reread Dickens and Thackeray, and depiction of mobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment