Sunday, January 24, 2010

"Reader" Corrects Rally Lowballing In Detail

Making my point about lowballing, "Reader" in Comments: "Hey LKO, real nice to see you persisting with this. It is important -- not because of the numbers -- but because of the idea. Democracy might be a game to politicians -- it's not a game to me (or you I suspect).

Yesterday, I posted an estimate of crowd size in Toronto based on what I observed having been there -- it was 15,000.
After reading all the stuff here, I thought I ought to fine-tune my count. The explanation is long -- so bear with me. . .

I found a photo from atop a building on Bay Street. I downloaded a copy, fixed the location (bus terminal on Bay St.) zoomed in to measurable landmarks and counted heads. My count was 500 people for 70 feet. (70' long x ~ 66' wide). BTW, this was one of the least dense parts of the march that I observed.

I went on to measure the length of the "parade" -- THAT I COULD OBSERVE (used Google Earth to measure my POV vs line of sight) -- it equaled 2,500 feet. (It was longer, a lot longer.) Just for fun, I divided 2,500 feet by 70 feet to get 36 rounded. Multiply by 500 to yield -- surprise -- 18,000 -- even higher than the estimate I posted earlier.

As an anecdote -- I am a shy and cautious old man. I was cold, so I hung out with my wife and son inside the AMC Centre.

So did lots of other people.

It may be true that 7,000 people occupied Dundas Square. Yet many more wanted to -- but it's too small. (Lots and lots were sheltering in the surrounding malls). We waited until the square emptied to join the end of the line for the "parade" -- then we marched. When we reached Shuter Street, I said to my wife and son, "Can we drop out at Queen -- I'm really cold?"

My wife looked back, hoping we could leave graciously, without being noticed. Behind us? -- hundreds more."

No comments:

Post a Comment