Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The ADS Reactor

I do not know much about the ADS (Accelerator-Driven System) reactor, but I have heard it mentioned by a small group of supporters from time to time. I would like to know more about it if possible. The basic principle is one of a sub-critical reactor core that produces free neutrons during the process of spallation, but I am not sure what the spallation process would theoretically be. Finally, I have heard about the ADS reactor reducing the amount of actinides produced but I am not sure what the quantity of leftover material to be disposed of would be compared to that of the traditional LWR.

How does the ADS design stack up to the LFTR and would it be worth pursuing in favor of the LFTR? Does it also have a high enough operating temperature that can be used as process heat for the synthesis of many chemical compounds like the LFTR and VHTR? Where is the research in the development and construction of such a reactor as the ADS? How much would it theoretically cost to build one? Does it have the scaling problems that many reactor designs do?

If anybody knows the details of the ADS reactor, feel free to tell me, as I am eager to learn more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment